Cemetery Circle in Action

It's a new year and a lot of new projects are starting to get rolling soon. While I might not be able to work on the field for the time being, it's a good time to continue planning and preparing. During the following months, I will share a little insight into the projects that I'm currently working on and the advances that we're making over the winter. However, I want to start with something very current – that being an online journal called Kalmistopiiri.

Archaeology section of the D' Bone Collector Museum in the Philippines.
Kalmistopiiri ("cemetery circle") is an online publication, which could be best described as a portal of news and articles related to archaeology. It got started as a study circle of archaeology students in the universities of Helsinki, Turku and Oulu in 2000 and originally concerned solely on the topic of burials. However, the portal changed shape over the years and since then, it has become a prominent online publication with multiple weekly articles over a large variety of topics.

At the end of last year, the journal posted a recruitment add to its editorial board. As I've always been passionate about writing and documentation, I decided to step up and was soon welcomed into the ranks of a few veterans and two other newcomers.

In case you're interested in following our articles, you can do it either by visiting our website regularly or by simply liking our page on Facebook. While all articles are written in Finnish, they should be reasonably easy to translate through Google Translate. Besides, if you're interested in a certain article and can't make sense of the automatic translation, let me know and I'll be sure to help you with a proper translation!

I'd be also more than happy to receive any suggestions for the topics of articles, so let me know if you're craving to know more about a certain theme! As I have decent tools for visual documentation, such as a drone and action camera, I'd be also glad to do collaboration with archaeologists willing to have their excavations properly filmed and showcased on the YouTube channel of the publication.

In any case, I'm excited about this project and can see great possibilities in public outreach, especially when it comes to archaeology. There's also much to be said about archaeological publishing in general, so I will definitely continue with the topic at a later date.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around Satakunta: The Big Three of Eura

Around Satakunta: Many Periods of Karvia

Tracing the First Humans of Lapland