The Journey Begins

Excavation in Kimitoön. Photo: Jan Fast
This blog is a brainchild of a soon-to-be third-year archaeology student from the University of Helsinki. While founding a blog is strongly encouraged by our faculty, the thought of it had crossed my mind several times even before the possibility of study credits. However, while I’ve always enjoyed writing, I’ve never had enough patience to write publicly in an organized manner. On the other hand, I’ve never had a solid reason to write publicly either. This time there might even be a point to it – let’s see if you agree!

During these two years, my curious soul has led me into a fair share of activities related to archaeology. I’ve always been the kind of person who gets absorbed by whatever he is doing, so it’s no surprise that the world of archaeology felt like Narnia from the very beginning. As soon as I could, I joined excavations on the field, sat through countless seminars, traveled abroad for new skills and am currently spending my summer on the field at multiple locations all around Finland.

While bouncing around here and there, I’ve noticed that I’m not alone with my fascination. Besides my friends and colleagues, there are countless of people, who are interested in the past – whether it’s ancient dynasties, local histories or contemporary conflicts. While some people express their interest through reading historical books or watching documentaries, many are also interested in following the discoveries made each day on the field. Some even offer their own time and energy to volunteer at excavations, thus becoming a vital part in making new archaeological breakthroughs.

So, to whom is this blog catered towards – I’d say to anyone, who shares the same passion towards the past and appreciates the effort of uncovering the layers that remain hidden from our sight. I’m hoping to give you a peek into the life of an archaeologist in all its glory, while not forgiving occasional setbacks and frustrations. But I’d also hope that the blog wouldn’t be all about me. I’ve seen with my very eyes the effort that the public can give to archaeology - whether it’s at the actual excavation trenches or through finding new sites in the nature. I’d love to play my part in encouraging new generations of curious souls into the world of archaeology and provide them with some basic tools to get started in their adventures.

I will unravel my vision for this blog - and something outside it - over time. However, I will start by introducing you to my work and giving examples on vast field of archaeology. I'm more than happy to get questions, thoughts or comments, but remember that I’m still a student myself and there’s much for me learn. While I might not have all the answers yet, I invite you all to learn with me!

I’m looking forward to a new journey with all of you!


Roman town of Aeclanum during the 2017 field season.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around Satakunta: The Big Three of Eura

Tracing the First Humans of Lapland

Around Satakunta: Many Periods of Karvia