New Position, Familiar Setting

Two years ago I was hired by Satakunta Museum as "summer archaeologist" to organize their prehistoric collection and to visit potential new heritage sites that local people had reported from all around Satakunta province. Next year I returned to the same position, although this time my task was to document known heritage sites that were considered on the list of nationally significant heritage sites. The same tradition continues and I'm about to start my job at the museum once again – however this time my title is no longer a "summer archaeologist" but rather a researcher.



My tasks concerns mostly of the aforementioned conflict archaeology project Feldluftpark Pori, which is carried out in cooperation with Satakunta Museum. While the current pandemic has hindered the research advances, as all Finnish archives and museums were closed, now it's time to get back to business. In June, I will not only dive into the archives of Satakunta region, but I will also visit the sites some locals have tipped me off recently and I will also start planning for two public excavations later this year.

On my free time, I will also look into the interesting history of the region, as I have great plans to reinvigorate the archaeological research of Satakunta. There will be surveys, test excavations and a plenty of more to write about later as the plans proceed. There's also room for new hands on the field, so if you have passion towards history or archaeology, let me know and join me on the field! Tips and suggestions are also always more than welcome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around Satakunta: The Big Three of Eura

Around Satakunta: Many Periods of Karvia

Tracing the First Humans of Lapland